Hong-An Vu is a business litigation attorney specializing in representing and advising technology and real estate clients on a wide range of complex litigation matters. Ms. Vu has over 12 years of experience in state and federal courts throughout California and other jurisdictions. During this time, Ms. Vu has represented clients at all stages of litigation, from pre-litigation advising to arbitration and appeal.
Some of Ms. Vu’s representative successes for plaintiffs and defendants include:
- Successfully defending luxury hotel management company in dispute against hotel owner and securing nearly $20 million in attorneys’ fees and costs for client as the prevailing party
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of Otto Trucking LLC and defeating claim for trade secret misappropriation in Waymo LLC v. Uber Technologies, Inc.
- Obtaining $70+ million in damages and attorneys’ fees in joint venture dispute for capital partner
- Obtaining order sustaining demurrer without leave to amend as to declaratory relief claims asserted by tenant against landlord, a result acknowledged by the court as rarely granted
Her practice includes the following additional representative matters
Commercial Contract Disputes
- representing buyer in arbitration for breach of asset purchase agreement by seller
- representing pharmaceutical company in enforcing indemnity on manufacturer
- employment litigation and partnership dispute on behalf of private equity fund
- representation of joint venture in breach of a guaranty of payment for a $440 million construction project
Representation of Technology Companies
- representing social media technology company in securities fraud and contract dispute with shareholders
- representation of SAAS company in trade secret claim against former employee
- defense of electric car company against trade secret misappropriation claims brought by former employer of founders
- defense of a technology company in false advertising and unfair competition case brought by competitor based on the client’s advertisement of free services
- advising numerous technology companies on terms of service, arbitration provisions, and on-boarding of new employees
Real Estate Matters
- representing capital partner in dispute concerning joint venture agreement concerning development and management of senior residential facilities
- representing developer in dispute with title company regarding unidentified easement
- representing landlord in lease dispute with tenant concerning Covid moratorium and Prop 65
- advising prop-tech startup regarding agreements in ghost kitchens
- representation of multiple companies in the food industry in asserting claims for trademark infringement and false advertising against competitors
- defense of trademark infringement claims on behalf of start-up companies against senior trademark holders
- advisement of hospitality clients on trademark related issues, including disputes involving possible breaches of trademark licensing agreements
Pro Bono Matters
- representing protest participants in in action against police department, including successfully defeating Daubert challenge against plaintiffs’ constitutional and police practices experts and substantially narrowing opinion of defendant’s expert
- submission of amicus brief filed before the U.S. Supreme Court in case involving denial of constitutional right to speedy trial
- representation of plaintiff in Section 1983 medical indifference claim that resulted in a significant monetary settlement for the client
Before joining Foundation Law Group, Ms. Vu served as Counsel at the Los Angeles office of Goodwin Procter, LLP, where she began her career as a summer associate in 2008.
Ms. Vu is admitted to practice in California and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, each of the U.S. District Courts in California.
She received her Juris Doctor from the University of Southern California’s law school in 2009. She received her B.A. summa cum laude from the University of California, Los Angeles, 2006, where she is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.